Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week 8 - Application Assignment - David Ebmeier


For my Application Assignment this week, I read a journal article about searching social networks. This journal talked about small links that connect people to other people they do not know but are in the same social network.  Basically the journal discusses the theory behind “the six degrees of separation” as it pertains to social networks.  

When referring to such social media networks as Facebook and LinkedIn, (Adamic & Adar, 2005, p. 2) tell us “The premise of these businesses is that individuals might be only a few steps removed from a desirable business or social partner, but not realize it.”  The ability to look at those links can provide insight as to how certain social media networks function.

In the late sixties and early seventies, groups of studies were conducted and found that a “small chain of acquaintances” connected two people in the world (Adamic & Adar, 2005, p. 2).  The study discussed in this journal recreates the same survey but applies it to the modern day world, where participants are connected via sites like Facebook.  One of the results from a 2002 study showed that 60,000 participants were able to use emails to “bridge continents with an average of 4.1 links” (Adamic & Adar, 2005, p. 2).

I found it interesting to see how the data in the journal continually proved just how small the world really is becoming.  The results from these studies could be beneficial to not only to only to companies but also to managers as they work on building their personal networks, in addition to their operational and strategic networks.  “Personal networks are largely external, made up of discretionary links to people with whom they have in common” (Ibarra & Hunter, 2007, p. 5).  Having knowledge of these “small world” studies can give managers or employees the ability to strategically stay one step ahead of the competition by maximizing their own social networks. (Adamic & Adar).

Reference

Ibarra, H., and Hunter, M. (2007) How Leaders Create and Use Networks, Harvard Business Review, pp.1-9

Adamic, L., & Adar, E. (2005). How to search a social network, Social Networks, 27(3) 187–203 Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378873305000109

5 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    Great reference back to the "six degrees of separation" premise. I've never quite fully understood how strangers across the world are only 6 acquaintances away from one another.

    Thinking in these terms, wouldn't it mean that there really is no competitive advantage to networking. Everyone would eventually be tied to everyone else, so that no one has exclusive access to anyone. Yet, networks are instrumental in leveraging opportunities.

    Do you suppose there is a hole in the "six-degrees" theory that hasn't been discussed?

    Thanks, David.
    Felipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    Great article you found. In the marketing world, it is amazing to see how social networks continue to evolved and become complex. These systems are extremely advanced and provide a global platform to meet others and extend one's influence beyond their immediate network at home.

    How do you think social networks may be used in the work place? What element of the Star Model do you think social networks might benefit the most?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, very interesting. I think social media and other related technological platforms will continue to play an increasingly important role in how we build and maintain our networks (both personal and professional). However, do you think there are drawbacks to online connections? Can they take the place of real world contact, or are they simply a supplement? Do you think the value of a connection is decreased when all you have to do is click "Send Contact Request" and you can become connected to someone? If you're interested in the topic of six degrees of separation, check out the book "Six degrees: The science of a connnected age" by Duncan Watts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, thanks for sharing this article. I also think that social media plays a very important role in our personal networks. How do you see social media playing a role in your own personal network? Have your personal relationships crossed over to your work relationships/network? I find that my personal network is sometimes a product of my professional network. Xiomara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for your comments!

    Jessica - I think that online relationships can be supplemental to real world contacts. I would think that one may have to work harder to really get to know someone well just via the Internet. My guess is that like any relationship you get out of it what you put into it.

    I personally have moved from one city to another often so I speak more with many more friends and contacts remotely than I could ever manage in person; however, most of those people I originally met and fostered relationships in person before "taking it" online. I think it would be much more difficult to start out a relationship online without that initial human contact.

    ReplyDelete