Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 7 Application Assignment - Joshua Sutterfield


This week I had an opportunity to interview Jerry Fay who works in the Assistant Engineering Group for Boeing Corporation about his company’s policies regarding Corporate Social Responsibility.  Mr. Fay explained how Boeing has an Employee Community Fund (ECF) that encourages employees to donate their time and/or their funds through payroll deductions for outreach programs in the community (Personal Communication, March 11, 2012).  When asked about a recent outreach program, Mr. Fay mentioned how Boing sponsored a Beach cleanup effort in Orange County (Personal Communication, March 11, 2012).

Corporate Social Responsibility is becoming commonplace amongst major corporations nowadays (Franklin, 2008).  Perhaps companies are doing this to strengthen their company’s reputations (Franklin, 2008).  An association with a charitable and noble cause may indeed cast an approval by various groups, including the company’s stakeholders.  A strong argument can be made that corporate social responsibility can improve the company’s perception and further strengthen the company’s image.  Whatever their motive, it is certainly a great public service.

Companies, after all, are made up of individuals within a community.   For example, when Boeing sponsored the Beach cleanup in Orange County, it improved the community for the residents, many of whom may work for Boeing.  With all the bad press many of today’s companies are receiving, it is nice to see a company like Boeing giving back to the community. 


References:

Franklin, D. (2008). Just Good Business: A Special Report on Corporate Social Responsibility. The Economist. January 19, pp.1-14 (full article)

Fay, J.  March 11, 2012.  Personal Communication. 

8 comments:

  1. Joshua,

    Very interesting to hear what Boeing does for their CSR. In speaking to Jerry, did he mention any other initiatives the company is involved in? Any related to improving air quality, etc.? I ask because Virgin Airlines has been looking into clean fuel for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua, it’s interesting to hear about the efforts that a large corporation like Boeing is making. LIke Crystal, I'd be interested to know if Jerry Fay discussed whether or not Boeing has any larger scale CSR efforts that are integrated with the company strategy. How about any efforts to try to be more ‘green’? It seems that this might be particularly important (and challenging!) for Boeing (especially their commercial airplanes division) given some of the negative environmental consequences of such large planes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting write-up, Joshua. I took a look at the Boeing website and the company actually has links on the home page to their policies on corporate citizenship and environment. Interestingly enough, with other companies like Apple, you have to dig a bit through the website to find their CSR information. I would think that given the negative press that Apple has seen as of late in regards to alleged human rights issues with one of its manufacturers, they would put their CSR policies up on the home page. Any ideas as to why Boeing so prominently places access to its CSR policies on the front page?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joshua,
    I enjoyed reading about what Boeing did recently in OC on the beaches. The employee community fund sounds like an example I provided in my response to Jessica's questions on my post and how companies can spread their CSR efforts company wide. It seems that Boeing has CSR embedded in their strategy as opposed to just something they do, that simply looks good. Is that a correct assessment or have these two programs just been "luck" for the company in making it seem like CSR is integrated into their strategy? In what innovative ways through R&D is Boeing developing product that will inherently speak to CSR? Did Mr. Fay indicate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Gould,

    Crystal did raise an excellent point about green technology. I was able to find an article about Boeing working towards making a solar-powered aircraft. This article talks about SolarEagle, which is an unmanned aircraft (Saulpaugh, 2010). I know this is more related to Defense spending, but I am sure in due time this type of technology will make it to the civilian market.

    I was also able to find a Boeing Corporate Philanthropy Report. I think this is a terrific idea for companies to prepare! Boeing has participated in a whole assortment of causes and programs. For example, in the report it looks like more than $4.5 million dollars was donated for the Southeast Asia Tsunami victims from both corporate and employee contributes (Boeing Corporate Philanthropy Report, 2006).

    References:
    Boeing Corporate Philanthropy Report may be found at http://www.socialfunds.com/csr/report.cgi/260.html

    Saulpaugh, K. (2010, September 17). Boeing Makes Strides in Green Technology with Solar-Powered Aircraft. Retrieved from http://www.executivegov.com/2010/09/boeing-makes-strides-in-green-technology-with-solar-powered-aircraft/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken,

    You raise an excellent point. Companies should put their CSR programs more front and center on their websites. It is great to see that Boeing prominently displays it on their website. By the way, what do you think of 787 Dreamliner, now that is an impressive aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crystal,

    It doesn't surprise me to see Virgin Airlines making strides to get into clean fuel. After all, they are an innovative company with one of the most unusual and exciting CEO's out there. You raised a good point. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren,

    I think Boeing is truly committed to CSR. Ken brought up a good point as to how Boeing's CSR link is front and center on their website. And, I was able to indicate in Dr. Gould's comment that they publish a yearly Philanthropy Report. I would be in favor of seeing more companies voluntarily publish these with their annual reports.

    ReplyDelete