This week’s readings provided a cogent definition of what makes for organizational culture and the benefits of a strong culture; it is the assumptions that underlie the values, and determine the behavioral patterns or norms demonstrated by those members of the entity (Sorenson, 2009; Schein, 1983). The organizational culture of a firm, by and large, dictates how things get done. Depending on the position of the company in its growth, the culture of the organization can prove to enhance its competitive edge or be a detriment. Sorenson (2009) contends that strong organizational cultures enable firms to produce at a higher level. The three advantages to a firm possessing a strong organizational culture are: 1) it facilitates social control, dictating what the behavioral norms will be; 2) such a strong culture can provide employees with motivation to perform at a higher level because there is the perception that each individual is free to “choose” how to behave; 3) and a culture firmly rooted in the organization better insures there is less uncertainty about decisions, as there are set goals and practices established (Sorenson, 2009).
This information posed the question of how the culture of an organization is established and if there is a difference in culture of an organization based on the type of manager in place. Schein, 1983, purports that the culture of an organization is shaped by the founder of the organization’s personality. The biases of the company’s founder, based on their personal cultural experiences are the foundation for an organization’s culture. These are intertwined into the organization by certain cues. For instance, a manager can encourage the “lieutenants” in the company to be innovative, provide extensive training and consulting assistance, all to produce highly skilled managers, but offer no incentives or rewards as it relates to increased compensation or stock options to them specifically, but offer such perks to family members who have not performed in similar fashion. This type of cue can create a counter culture within the organization and that belief can then permeate the group as opposed to the culture that the manager originally had in mind. An action on the part of a manager to vet decisions laterally and from the top down, can give the impression to subordinates that they don’t have trust from their manager, as every decision, no matter how long it takes to evolve, must be by committee. These are a couple of non-verbal cue that a manager can consciously, but often times, unconsciously express, thus creating a particular. More explicit procedures in implementing the culture of an organization is by statements about their philosophy, the design of the building or workspace or stories and myths about key people or events associated with the organization.
When analyzing a founder/owner “manager” as opposed to a professional manager and the culture of the organization based on manager type, four areas of motivation can contribute to the firm’s culture; emotional orientation, analytical orientation, interpersonal orientation and position within the firm. While there are several differences under each category, as I read these, I thought that those listed below illustrate the cultural message communicated that a prospective new hire should consider in their job search and employees should be cognizant of as the atmosphere changes because it is this culture that will set the tone for the work environment:
Owner Professional Manager
Emotional orientation
|
Concerned with creating & building
|
Concerned w/ surviving, growing
|
Analytical orientation
|
Trust own intuition
|
Analytical; cautious about intuition
|
Interpersonal orientation
|
View individuals as individuals
|
View individuals as members of categories, e.g. employees, suppliers, etc.
|
Difference in position
|
Possess the privilege & risk of ownership
|
Minimal ownership, if any; fewer privileges & risks
|
Schein, E.H. (1983). "The role of the founder in creating organizational
culture". Organizational Dynamics, pp. 13-28
Sorenson, J. (2009). Note on Organizational Culture. Harvard Business School, pp. 1-6
Sorenson, J. (2009). Note on Organizational Culture. Harvard Business School, pp. 1-6
Lauren, it's interesting to hear more about the impact that a leader has on organizational culture. Do you think that found/owner managers and professional managers have equal power to shape culture, or do you think that the founders will always have a stronger impact? You list several dimensions of culture that may differ depending on the organizational leader's role. Do you think that one orientation is preferable to the other, or does it depend on the employee and what s/he is looking for?
ReplyDeleteJessica, considering my experience in having worked for a company that was operated by an owner/founder and with company growth came professional managers, I tend to think that at the end of the day, the owner/founder maintains the most power, in terms of overall culture of the organization. BET, specifically, is the firm that comes to mind. Sure, the managers that I reported to dictated the culture of the office in which I worked, but the overall culture of the organization, as it related to the feeling one had about the shows produced and the bottom line goals of the company and how employees and freelancers fit into the overall picture---that culture came from the top and trickled down and it was reflected in the attitude of the managers.
ReplyDeleteWith regard to the orientation preference in an organization, I believe it is totally dependent upon the preference of the employee. As I read this, I thought, hmmm...questions to ask on my next job interview. Prospective hires and employees need to be aware of the environment's culture and who is responsible for setting that tone. I have worked in environments where the culture was established and reiterated by the owner/founder, as well as environments run by professional managers. While I enjoy, from a professional standpoint, the orientation generally set forth by a professional manager, as it is more impartial, I prefer, from a social aspect, the culture dictated by a founder/owner. I think it is totally dependent upon the employee to know how best they thrive and seek that out, if possible. I also believe that if they are aware of the culture and what different managers tend to behave in relationship to organizational culture, employees can also influence change in that culture, if there is strong enough "push back." Regardless of manager type, if enough employees express or demonstrate exception to an aspect of an organization's culture, managers will have to acquiesce and change to some degree.
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteSo are you saying that the culture of BET stemmed from Bob Johnson (or Debra Lee depending when you worked there), or the people at the top who ran the department like Stephen Hill, or Lynn Harris Taylor? I would tend to think that it stemmed from the department heads and not the very top... Just my thoughts...
I tend to agree with you about BET overall, and that the work environment isn't the best culture from what I've heard.
A few years ago, I was a TV agent and I did numerous talent contracts with BET and their business affairs department isn't very organized, and sounds very much like the production departments you worked in. However, I will say that BET's founder, Bob Johnson did an amazing job in creating a channel for people of color. BET continues to improve in how it handles business and creating better programming. Having numerous conversations with BET’s new president, Loretha Jones and knowing what she’s like, I believe that BET is headed in the right direction. Thanks for sharing.
Damu