Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 11 Application Assignment- Shanah McKnight


This week’s readings on employee motivation were particularly intriguing to me as it is a big issue in my own organization. Despite the fact that our organization as a whole have some great initiates to keep employees engaged, my division is notorious for lacking in that area. Nohria, Groysberg, and Lee (2008) discuss the four drivers for motivation: acquire, bond, comprehend, and defend.  In each of these areas my division has much room for development. 

By utilizing the model that Nohria, Groysberg, and Lee (2008) suggest, our division as a whole could create an environment that leads to higher employee motivation which in turn would provide higher quality and production from the employees. Currently, I think there is an overemphasis on lack of monetary resources. However, a reward system could be implemented to acknowledge employees such as a “spotlight” section in the newsletter or an employee of the month. The work itself is independent; however, that does not mean there shouldn’t be a culture of teamwork. Even something such as a short weekly unit meeting would foster commonality amongst unit members and provide an opportunity to share best practices. This would tremendously increase the bonding within the units. The job design cannot be altered within most of the division; however, the way the job is communicated to the employees can be changed. Indeed our work is important and each member’s contribution is valuable. Therefore, this should be communicated to the employee. In contrast, currently there is just a production emphasis and it is stressed how far behind we are in processing applications. A change in this focus would allow the employees to comprehend how they contribute to the bigger picture. 

The role of the direct manager is invaluable.  I wish not to diminish the efforts by some of the managers within the division. I have personally witnessed two in particular that have created environments within their units that promote motivated staff members in a toxic environment. These managers “take actions that encourage teamwork and make jobs more meaningful and interesting” (Nohria, Groysberg, & Lee, 2008, 6). Unfortunately for me, I moved from one of these fantastic units to one that fails to instill motivation within its employees. I completely identified with Martin and Schmidt’s (2010) discussion of the top mistakes that organizations make that result in losing the highly potential employees. Although I had not previously considered it, as the reading suggested, my negativity is probably due to my “outsized expectations and lots of alternatives”. As a matter of fact, my promotional opportunity has not met my expectations and I have recently decided to apply to other positions despite the fact that I will not have fulfilled probation in my current position. This is mostly due the fact that in my new position I feel completely disengaged from the organization and do not feel my current contributions are appreciated. If I felt the environment was open I would give suggestions to my manager at how to better fulfill the staff member’s needs. Unfortunately I don’t think that the connection has been made yet that the satisfaction of the employee leads to higher motivation which in turns leads to higher production and quality.
 
Nohria, N., Groysberg, B., and Lee, L. (2008) Employee Motivation: A Powerful New Model, Harvard Business Review, pp. 1-7

Martin, J., and Schmidt, C. (2010). How to Keep Your Top Talent. Harvard Business Review, pp. 3-9

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shanah,

    Thanks for sharing. I certainly relate to your current situation and have survived several instances of working in a toxic environment. It would be great if you could find ways to foster organizational and communication improvement without having to leave your position. It would be interesting to see if you could find a way to profuse some of what you've learned this semester into some smaller, 'informal networks' with the hope that it might be able to spread. Do you see any opportunities where you might bring a more positive influence into your division or is it a bureaucratic lost cause?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I agree that it would be preferable to bring about a positive change without leaving my current position. I don't really see that it is possible though. Part of the reason for this is that the part of the division I work on doesn't really allow for any sort of informal networks. If anything they would prefer if you kept to yourself; therefore, there aren't many opportunities to bring about any change. I really hate to admit it but unless I were to gain a position with more power, it is a "bureaucratic lost cause".

      Delete
  2. Shanah,

    Thanks for sharing your personal experience on this topic. It seems that you have many great ideas that could improve your current working environment, it is a shame you do not feel you could talk to your supervisor. Throughout the semester I have read many articles about morale in the workplace, and it seems like having an open and honest line of communication is key to having happy employees. Does your department work closely with others to where this level of unhappiness will be noticed by other department? Perhaps it would be a good idea to "accidentally" leave readings from this week on your desk for your supervisor to catch sight of, maybe a hint will be taken!! (Just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Megan! Believe me, the thought did cross my mind. I did make it a point to commend the managers that are doing a great job at fostering employee motivation. The majority of the division doesn't work closely with other divisions. In my previous position our unit worked closely with other divisions, but we were not subject to these same low morale issues. I find it interesting that it is a known factor within the upper management but yet not much is done to address the issue.

      Delete
  3. Shanah, nice application of the readings to you down workplace. You make a good point regarding the monetary emphasis. Often, financial rewards are overemphasized when low cost solutions like those that you recommend could be easily implemented and bring about great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica. I learned a lot from this week's readings and appreciate that the subject matter in this course is immediately applicable to our professional lives. I notice that non-monetary rewards are often forgot about. Perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to share my recommendations.

      Delete