Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 11 Application Assignment - Megan Samuels


Maybe it is because I am a “boomer” but I have found myself disagreeing with nearly all of the readings this week that have to do with generational differences.  While I completely agree that what I experienced growing up like the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam War, Watergate and Woodstock (Knight, 2010; Smola, 2001), I am not as certain that this has as much influences on how I work as the fact that I’m older than my Gen-X and Millennial colleagues. Though I’m a late Boomer, I remember quite clearly that the generation before “the silent generation” had similar complaints about the “new breed of workers” with their colorful clothes and long hair.  When I was new in the workforce, the generation ahead thought pretty much the same thing about us (lazy, self-centered) that I’ve been reading in this week’s assignments.

Even though Erickson is a “Boomer” herself (2010, p.2), I wish I had the time to dispel what I perceive as her biases.  I assume there is significant research to back up her perception of what Gen-Xers feel about the Boomers, but there are no references to look at in this article.  She has been very selective in her quotes which are all antagonistic towards the Boomers; “The Boomers will never retire”, “The upper-level managers refuse to retire, and then hire their children” and all sorts of really selective quotes that don’t seem a fair representation of an entire generation.  Erickson also fails to note that the first Boomers are just reaching retirement age now.  Those born in 1946 are only 66 years old.  Some of the Gen-Exers mention Boomers having security (Erickson, 2002, p.3), but with social security on the chopping block, the fall of the stock markets vis-à­-vis 401k retirement plans most American workers are in the same, leaking, security boat. 

Smola & Sutton do acknowledge that maturity does change one’s views on work and life, and that each preceding generation probably considers the new generation lazy and self-centered (2002, p. 379).  I would like to see someone follow up to this study to see how both Gen-X and Millennials feel in 20 years from now.

Erickson, T. (2010). The leaders we need now. Harvard Business Review, pp. 11-15 

Knight, W.E. (n.d.). Generational differences in workplace values among institutional researchers: implications for improving the profession. Bowling Green State University.   www.bgsu.edu

Smola, K.W., & Sutton, C.D. (2002).  Generational differences: revisiting generational work values for the new millennium.  Journal of Organizational Behavior (23) 363-382.  Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/job.147

4 comments:

  1. Megan, this week's readings generated many of the same feelings you are expressing here (probably because we are Boomers of around the same age and experience). As a much younger employee, I can remember one of my supervisors (from the Depression Era) telling me, "you kids don't know the value of hard work and saving a buck!" And now, I am of the generation that Gen-X and Millennials criticize? I agree: let's read that data 20 years hence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy,

      I totally agree. As I stated below I don't think this study is conclusive by any means. However by you pointing out that the Depression Era generation cautioned us to save money I do see some differences. But then again, it's a sign of the times. Credit was not readily available to them as it is now. I don't think Boomers do have the same mentality to save as our parents did. But I've got to say that the Millennial on my staff saves a lot more money than I do, has a 401k and thinks ahead. I'm still convinced that this is mostly personality and less generational.

      Delete
  2. Megan, I appreciate your perspective on this week's readings. Erickson does seem to make many generalizations regarding generational differences. Do you agree with Smola and Sutton's (2002) argument that the changes may be due only to differences in maturity and experiences, and not to being a member of a particular generation? One question I do have is about the differences that growing up with new technologies might cause. Do you think Millenials, for example, might place greater value/importance on being able to telecommute or have a flex schedule, having grown up at a time where laptops, smartphones, and "always on" communication are the only thing they have known? Or, do you think that this is something that all workers might demand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    Thank you for your comments. I'm a little (but not too) sad that this is my last application assignment.

    I get the feeling that Smola & Sutton are really trying to find evidence to support their theory instead of looking more realistically at what they're saying. They state that workers' values change when they mature, but stick to the notion that work values are still generational. This entire realm of study is fairly new and there's not a lot to go on. Because the Gen-Xers are only in their early 40s at the oldest, this entire study is pretty moot in my opinion. Nothing will be supported until they are at the age of the boomers.

    My small team is comprised of 2 Gen-Xers, 2 Boomers and 1 Millenial. My boss is one of the Gen-Xers and he is not overly savvy in the technical department. Please see the 2nd quote above about executives hiring their kids. 'Nuff said. My observation of the Millennial is that he's often, but not always, the first to find the a shiny new thing. The other Boomer and I like shiny new things as well, the difference being that we are more selective as to whether the shiny new thing is useful or worth the time. I'd like to also point out, without getting defensive, that it was our generation that brought in the personal computer. When I started working I had to type stuff up on an IBM selectric, and the PC was a very welcomed upgrade.

    As far as smartphones, laptops, flex schedules, I see no difference. I'm on my iPhone as much as anyone. All the Boomers I know have tablets, discover and use apps with regularity, and are texting and playing Words with Friends as often as any of the other generations mentioned. Honestly, the only differences I see are in the personalities of these people regardless of age. Some need to constantly be in touch, some feel an email can wait and some actually turn all the crap off to give themselves a break.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete