One of the topics that I found myself drawn to in
this week’s reading was the concept of an organization as a living organism (Morgan,
1997). One of the things I find most
interesting in this world in the seeming interconnectedness in the seemingly
disconnected. It’s not surprising that
one of my strengths is connectedness. I am also observant of biology, of how
amazingly clever the connections between different life forms are, that fruit
contains seeds in a package that tastes good so that some animal will come
along, eat the good tasting vehicle for the seeds and then deposit the seeds in
another location some time later (if you know what I mean) because the seeds
are indigestible. It’s part of the
design. I could get into my belief in
Chaos Theory and interconnectedness on the fractal level, but that would be
going too far.
After reading Gareth Morgan’s chapter “Nature
intervenes: Organizations as organisms” (1997, pp. 35-67) from his book Images of Organization, and really
thinking about how I thrive as a professional when in an open system (Morgan,
1997), or perish in a closed system, I was very glad to be reminded of Maslow’s
Hierarchy of Needs (Morgan, 1997; Maslow, 1947): 1. Self-Actualization
2. Esteem
3. Love/Belonging
4. Safety
5. Physiological
So it’s no wonder I was thrilled to see this article
published Friday on Inc.com’s website titled “8
Things Your Employees Need Most” by Jeff Haden (2012, Feb.). Haden’s article reinforces the notion that it’s
not all about the pay and benefits, though those are important, but it is also very
much about employers fulfilling certain needs of their employees (Haden,
2012).
It’s not surprising that “Freedom” is number one,
and it goes without saying that having the freedom to make and follow through
on decisions without someone scrutinizing your every move can open the doors to
better performance (Haden, 2012).
I’ve had two notable situations in my current
company, one very recently. My boss of
four years left the company in December.
Though we were close and she was immensely talented, she had a penchant
for micromanaging. As someone who is
creative for 80 percent of her job (writing, editing, designing) it is oppressive
when you know that you’re going to have to change everything as soon as you
turn it in. This was different from getting feedback or criticism; this was a
matter of control. This sort of thing really can stagnate creativity and decision-making
choices. Now that she’s gone, I’ve never
felt freer, and my work product has improved greatly because I don’t have that oppressive
feeling all the time.
The seven remaining needs are “targets” (goals are
fun), “mission” (feeling a part of something), “expectations” (latitude with
what expected of the employee made clear), “Input” (ability to offer
suggestions and ideas), “connection” (employees want to work with and for people), “consistency” (all employees
treated the same) and finally “future” (every job should have the potential to
lead to something more)(Haden, 2012).
I had the opportunity to leave my current job for a
better paying position with the possibility of travel to Europe, but declined
because it would not have satisfied what I need to be a happy and productive
employee. What can I say? I’m just an organism looking for an open
system to spread my wings.
Haden, J. (2012, February 2). 8 Things Your Employees Need
Most. Inc. Retrieved from http://www.inc.com
Maslow, A.H. A Theory of Human Motivation, Psychological
Review 50(4) (1943):370-96. Retrieved
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs 2/5/12.
Morgan, G.,
& L&K International Videotraining. (1997). Nature intervenes:
Organizations as organisms. In Images
of organization pp. 35-67. Wiley Online Library.
Megan, I agree the "organization as a organism metaphor" is a particularly compelling one! You discuss 8 different things that employees need most. How do you see these mapping onto Maslow's hierarchy of needs? When discussing the theme of employee needs, Morgan also introduces the concept of organizations as sociotechnical systems. Can you extend this concept to your own workplace? You discuss the change in your job now that your boss has left the company. Can you think of any other ways that structure influences people, and vice versa?
ReplyDeleteThank you for asking questions that makes me begin to see what you're looking for in these application assignments. In reviewing the example of the sociotechnical system, I think we're more of the 'after picture' instead of the before picture. We have a great team, but it's better now. We rely more on each other to proofread and bounce ideas off of. Unless I'm not understanding the full meaning of the sociotechnical system, I don't think it's relatable to my or our situation.
ReplyDelete1. Self-Actualization - It's hard to be free to create when you've got a shadow over you. Even though I always did my work to the best of my ability, I am now responsible for the entire content with little intervention. I do ask for feedback, but I'm no longer beholden to a single person's tastes, tastes that I often disagreed with.
2. Esteem - I am no longer overshadowed or cut off during meetings. I no longer stress out about how I can get a word in without being cut off. I still think work to bring about a solution, but I don't feel like I have to edit myself. I know from being a writer that most of the time you need to get everything on the table to discard the crap and drill for the diamonds.
3. Love/Belonging - I'm happier and my boosted self-confidence (from #2) allows me to be more open to my colleagues and my friends and family. It's helped me immensely in dedicating myself to this master’s program.
4. Safety - I know I'm valued by my company, especially now that I'm more autonomous in my work. When I'm not worried about losing my job, meaning not only salary but medical benefits, it gives me comfort. There were times when I wasn't sure whether she had my best interests at heart even though she said there wasn't a problem. But I'm also keenly aware of "smelling the cheese" and I don't kid myself in this day and age that it could end without warning.
5. Physiological - You know, I think the hierarchy is backwards. When you go backwards, ultimately you end up a happier, healthier person physically. I've been sleeping better, getting more exercise and generally doing really, really well since she's left. I don't dread going to work which can cause lots of physical problems. That's why many fatal heart attacks happen on Monday morning!
Thank you again for helping me broaden my perspective on what these assignments are about.
First of all, Megan, let me compliment you on this post and your wonderful ability to tie in our reading with your personal experiences AND popular press...and make it enjoyable to read
ReplyDeleteAs one who has struggled in my current position (the administration that recruited and hired me four years ago is NOT the one that is in place today), I must say that I appreciated your sharing “8 Things Your Employees Need Most” by Jeff Haden (2012, Feb.). I have often wondered if employers actually worry about the things their employees need most as much as employees wonder why their bosses don't know what they need!
As a mission-driven organization (Catholic Church-affiliated school), my organization prides itself on following the goals and criteria stated in its 217-year-old mission to educate young women to be caring, compassionate leaders in their world. Yet in reality, there are many administrators in our organization for whom "caring" is not a readily available commodity. In that respect, we often do not practice what we preach.
As an organism, I think my organization is a flower that needs a bit more water. I am pleased to read here, Megan, that your "organization-as-organism" is breathing more freely these days.