Week 3-Application Assignment-Lauren Y. Walker
The structure that I currently work within is functional that seems to be leaning more toward matrix (or should be) to maximize communication efficiency between various department teams (Daft, 2007). While the department seems to be shifting ever so slowly to matrix structure that will allow for more individuals to "manage themselves," by mere virtue of the fact that the hierarchal structure causes bottlenecks with decisions not being made or action being taken by Sr. staff in a timely way, and employees taking it upon themselves to make decisions to keep the workflow moving, I also see instances of management "flexing" their authoritative muscle to maintain control. This is a potential problem in the success of the development officers meeting their goals and the dynamic of the changing environment of the department(Daft, 2007). In the coming months, my new role will implore me to develop a mobile communication strategy that will allow development officers to communicate with each other in the field via social media like Salesforce Chatter as well as communicate with administrative staff with secure programs similar to that of Google Docs to maintain contact reports, develop proposals and other documentation necessary to move the cultivation process closer to a solicitation. As dynamics of the office such as these change, and the need for more efficient communication presents itself, there is an ever increasing need to move more toward a structure with horizontal linkages of some sort to keep communication between teams flowing (Daft, 2007).
This differs drastically from the structure that I worked under as a freelance producer in the entertainment industry. At the corporate level of the companies that I produced shows for, there was the existence of a functional structure with divisional groupings, i.e. individual networks underneath the NBC Universal umbrella, or Turner conglomerate or Viacom family, etc(Daft, 2007). Those networks then instituted a virtual network structure, contracting third party production companies to produce shows on rented sound stages in L.A. or ENG(in the field) style, depending upon the format of the show(Daft, 2007). Those third party production companies would then hire a freelance producer such as myself and production staff to produce the show or show series for which they had gained the contract. The actual production staff was more of a matrix structure. While the EPs(executive producers) disseminated the overarching vision for the show to the senior producers and the senior producers provided me with an overview of the vision, as a producer responsible for the look of the finished product, I worked within an environment of horizontal linkage(Daft, 2007). This allowed me to communicate across various teams of people with particular expertise, i.e. camera department, clearance and licensing staff, music team, segment producers, audio techs, graphic artists, etc, and these teams of people communicated freely with one another to produce show under daily deadline pressure. There were shows that I produced where the functional structure at the corporate level imposed itself with great detriment into the daily business of producing shows. In a fluid environment such as this one where people and situations cause change constantly, functional structure meant disaster waiting to happen. Fluid communication is imperative and it worked best within a matrix(Daft, 2007).
Reference:
Daft, R. (2007). Fundamentals of Organizational Structure. Organization Theory and Design
(9th ed.) pp. 88-125
Lauren, it sounds like your past experience working in a setting with a great deal of horizontal linkages will be a real asset as you help your current employer to make a structural transition. I'm particularly interested to hear more about your implementation strategy for products such as Salesforce Chatter and Google Docs. In this week's readings Applegate (1995) explored the role of IT, and noted that while these are valuable tools, they can't define what sort of information should be in the system, nor can they "provide incentives that would motivate people to use the information to meet both organizational and personal objectives" (p. 5). How are you dealing with this challenge as you develop the new mobile communication strategy?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLauren,
ReplyDeleteWhat advise would you give your employer to persuade him to restructure the organization from functional to matrix? What recommendations of linkages would you make? What would you tell him the benefit are for restructuring?
What would you say to an employee in your department who refuses to learn and use Salesforce chatter? If an employee asked you why SF chatter was implemented, what would you say? What are the benefits for the individual and for the department as a whole? You might not know the answers to these questions, but if you do, please share. I am interested in knowing more about the benefits of Salesforce chatter.
Xiomara
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI haven't been in the role a month yet, so I am definitely in an observation mode at this point. You bring to mind a very very real challenge that I have seen already in my office of personnel not taking advantage of the tools provided to them. In a brief conversation with my boss about this very issue, he pointed out, that the goals and pressure on development officers have changed at a university level. He made the point that tools not used now, will not serve them well if they are to realize success in meeting their metric. I think that to a degree, I will have to trust that these fundraisers "see" that and begin to incorporate small things I have done like having landlines programmed to be forwarded to cells when they aren't in the office, into their mode of operating.
The staff are neophytes when it comes to mobile technology. Many are afraid to use it and some are still of the mindset that they will succeed without it. Yet, I have heard them complain that they wish they could record their contact reports in the field. Statements like that, I pay attention to, but say nothing about initially. One strategy I have is to gather a list of about five or six challenges I have heard they have, research a solution using mobile technology or software such as Salesforce chatter, Google docs, or some equivalent or Dragon for Salesforce(for audibly recording their contact reports, gather them together for a "information technology" meeting to show them all in one setting, these are apps or software that can be utilized to help complete the task. I think that once they see that I have solutions to their problems and the apps to use aren't labor intensive, they may be more open to using more apps. I have seen glimpses of this just in the initial training of usage of an iPad. I am pretty confident that they will be receptive. My next step, once I have a captive audience will be then to ask, what other issues have you found tedious in the field. I would then ask their indulgence in either convening again in a couple of weeks to provide the answers or better yet, ask if they prefer a media presentation, create an intranet for office purposes to disseminate that info. That way, if they forget a step or forget what app will help them with a particular problem, they can refer to the solution that is stored and at their fingertips.
I certainly can't define the type of info in the system....I think the officers will define that by indicating what info they need to push back to the office, i.e. contact reports and what kind of information they need to receive, i.e. perhaps data on a donor prospect. It will be my job to listen to what the info is, show them how technology can help them receive and disseminate info and once I have that "buy in" from them, I think IT such that I am in that office, can provide the incentive to embrace the technology and the info to reach their objectives, if I can provide solutions the majority of the time. No one wants to work hard. They want to work smart. If I can show them how, I think I can begin to make small changes.
Xiomara,
ReplyDeleteTo specifically address your question about Salesforce Chatter....that may not be the best tool for the major gifts officers. It might serve the CFR team better, as they collaborate in getting proposals completed. I have heard the want and need to be in contact with each other to do this while the Associate Dean for that group travels. This might be a solution, along with a Google doc equivalent to work on the docs in real time. Perhaps it is simply using FaceTime. The idea is to hear their problem and offer a solution. Half the battle is getting their attention. I have it by virtue of them having a problem they want a solution to. Chatter might be helpful for major gifts officers to speak with their assistants while they are away, if they are in need of some info. Chatter may turn out not to be the best solution, but whatever the solution is, I only need to find it and implement it to help.
To change the thinking and behavior of management, present solutions for the officers. If I am able to do that, communication will flow back that I am making things easier. I think this will inherently be an indicator that maybe my not waiting for permission but finding solutions and communicating horizontally is aiding in workflow, they may be more open to allowing more...within reason. I might very well be too optimistic, however, common reasoning would like to make me think I might have a shot. :-)